[WILSON] Re: Wilson Digest, Vol 6, Issue 1

Wilson at afrigeneas.com Wilson at afrigeneas.com
Sun Oct 3 12:18:49 EDT 2004

You have much more information about your "black ancestors" than I do. There is a lot more information about a wealthy white politician than about his slave my great great grand mother.  Before 1860 is like a blank wall except on my mother's side my great great grand parents were "free" blacks in the same area. Looks like they had slave owners as friends and neighbors. My cousin tells me that after the "Civil War" they both died leaving several very young children that neighbors, a white family, raised them well into their teens.

We could still be related both families were from Kentucky. Slaves often named their children after friends, family members and their "owners". Since William Wilson is a very common name with several William in his family my great great grandfather was called W. W. Wilson I believe.

Sometimes I wonder what life was like then? W. W. Wilson had a wife and a dozen of slaves several women including my great great grandmother who had at least two children by him before he sold his daughter, my great grandmother. Two branches of the family differ about fate my great great grandmother one side thinks she died in child birth and the other believe both my great great grand mother and her daughter were sold off. Any way they kept his son my great great grand uncle.