[WILSON] In Search of Hiram Wilson genesis in North Carolina

Wilson at afrigeneas.com Wilson at afrigeneas.com
Tue Nov 18 15:25:15 EST 2003

Sorry,  I wish I could help out, but my family history is quite different -- no Texas connections as far as we know.  Good luck.

From: Wilson at afrigeneas.com
Date: 2003/11/14 Fri PM 05:42:05 EST
To: Wilson at afrigeneas.com
Subject: [WILSON] In Search of Hiram Wilson genesis in North Carolina

Dear members:
I am the great, great granddaughter of Hiram Wilson, Post Slavery Potter of
Guadalupe County, Texas. Hiram and his slave brothers were the first Black
Entrepreneurs of Texas. He was born in 1836 in Mecklenberg County of North
Carolina. Brought to Texas in 1856 by Rev. John M. Wilson, Presbyterian minister and
slaveholder, as one of his 20 slaves. Worked as a potter in the John M. Wilson
pottery site and after emancipation formed his own pottery business along
with his brothers James and Wallace Wilson.

He bought large tracts of land to establish a black community in Capote where
the pottery sites were located. He became a Baptist Minister and pastored two
churches in the area. Donated 10 acres of land for the Church, school and
cemetery and attended Bishop College.

Their pottery is quite expensive and widely collected here in Texas. We have
formed a nonprofit Foundation, The Wilson Pottery Foundation and are working
to finance a museum to share their legacy. We have bought back one of the
pottery sites and are in the process of excavating it.

Some members of our family are planning a trip to North Carolina and Virginia
the summer of 2004 to do research of his early life and that of his
ancestors. We plan to begin by researching the family of the Reverend John M. Wilson as
we were told by a member of his family that they sold their slaves within the
family. We have no idea who Hiram's parents or other relatives are.

We would be very appreciative of anyone that can help us in any way to
further our research. Perhaps some of you might possibly be relatives or can connect
us to some other person who might be helpful.

Thank you,

L. Britt,
Descendant of Hiram Wilson of Texas