[MacUser] The ScanJet 4670

VKN vkn at afrigeneas.com
Mon Oct 13 10:29:33 EDT 2003

The scanner goes upscale with the HP 4670

By Craig Crossman
KRT News Service
10-04-2003

"You¹ve seen one flatbed scanner and you¹ve seen them all, right? Wrong.
When I first saw the new Hewlett-Packard ScanJet 4670, I didn¹t even know
what it was, but I knew that I wanted one. It `s unlike any scanner you¹ve
ever seen and it looks like something you¹d see in a Museum of Modern Art
catalog.

"Most flatbed scanners resemble a copy machine in that you raise a lid to
reveal a glass surface onto which you position the document to be scanned.
Activate the scanner and a light tube passes beneath the glass plate and a
scanned image appears on the screen. From there, you can save it to disk,
print it, fax it or do whatever you want. And while you can do the same
thing with anything scanned by the 4670, its differences lie in how it scans
as well as its appearance.

"The first thing you notice while you¹re trying to figure out what it is in
the first place, is that the unit sits at a vertical angle on your table. In
fact, the 4670 looks much like a picture frame. The rectangular device
frames a glass panel through which you can see whatever is behind it.
Leaning back at around a 45-degree angle, a single metal leg acts as a
support stand while a smaller metal leg rests in front of the unit. The
frame also sports the unit¹s four control buttons and indicator lights. The
buttons are Power Save, Scan, Copy and Launch Instant Share, which is part
of the software suite that is included with the scanner.

"When I realized the device wasn¹t one of those digital electronic picture
frames, I considered it may be some new kind of flat screen monitor. But
when I discovered it to be a scanner, it wasn¹t immediately apparent as to
how it worked. The 4670 opens in a mouth-like fashion by lifting the frame.
Revealing a backrest onto which the document to be scanned is inserted, you
place the document between the front and back of the frame and then close
the unit. Unlike conventional scanners, you can see the document to be
scanned at all times during the scanning process.

"This scanner isn¹t just another pretty face. The scan resolution is 2400 by
2400 dots-per-inch and offers 48 bit color depth. It supports the newer USB
2.0 standard and weighs in at around 3 pounds.

"If you¹re in the market for a new scanner and you want something that sees
things in a different way, then the ScanJet 4670 has your name all over it.

"When available, the ScanJet 4670 will be compatible with Windows and
Macintosh OS X systems."