[LEWIS] One early source of Lewis Slaves - Meriwethers

Lineoflewis at aol.com Lineoflewis at aol.com
Thu Sep 18 04:32:10 EDT 2003

The Lewis Family of Belvoir Plantation in Virginia contains slaves from the
Meriwether Family.  It began in the 1600's with Nicholas Meriwether I who lived
in Surry.  He is reported to have had 3 slaves and one white male indentured
servant.  When he died, his widow married Col. Browne, of same county.
Meriwether's daughter married Col. Browne's son. At times Col. Browne was the
overseer of Nicholas's slaves and his own slaves.  Nicholas II was a part of the
household too.  When Nicholas II grew up, one of his daughters married Mr. Lewis
of Belvoir.  Nicholas II left slaves to all of the Lewis children. The
Meriwethers had land in  Albemarle , New Kent , Surry and a few other places in
Virginia.  Nicholas I began in Surry and he married a Woodhouse,, Nicholas II lived
in New Kent and married a Crawford.  He also lived in Albemarle.