[AfriAm- JOHNSON] Johnsons in Blackwater, MO

GD Carson gdcarson at pacbell.net
Fri Mar 24 17:55:54 EST 2006

I am researching my mother's JOHNSON family. My mother's maiden name was Mary Claybron JOHNSON. She was born in Blackwater, MO on March 28, 1916. Her father was Robert Henry JOHNSON and her mother's maiden name was Florence STAPLETON. My mother's siblings are: Odessa, Robert Jr., Earl, Charlie, Leslie, and Hannah.

My mother's father, Robert Henry JOHNSON's siblings were Ethleen, Jim, Maude (sometimes called Potch), Charlie, and Sallie Ann. Robert's father was Richard (Dick) JOHNSON and was said to be fathered by the slave owner as his mother was a slave. He died on August 3, 1951 at 101 years old. His death certificate says he was born in Missouri although he often told his grandchildren that he and his mother walked from Kentucky to Missouri after the slaves were freed, to find his sister. He found her in Kansas City and they settled in Cooper County, Blackwater township, Missouri. Unfortunately, Richard's death certificate did not state his mother nor father's names, they were listed as unknown. Census searches produced the following:

Rich JOHNSON, 25 on the 1880 Census of the Blackwater township of Cooper County Missouri. He was in the household of a white 35 year old farmer named A. S. CHUTE, his wife, Kassah Chute, and her sister, Mattie Sherback, a 25 year old school teacher. He was listed as a mulatto and his occupation is farm laborer. It also indicates that he was born in Missouri.

Richard JOHNSON is listed on the 1900 Census as head of the household in the Blackwater township of Cooper County Missouri. His race is black and he was born April 1857 and is listed as 43 years old. It says he and his wife Hannah have been married for 19 years. He and both his parents were born in Missouri. Hannah was born in Missouri but her father was born in Virginia and her mother was born in Kentucky.  Richard's occupation is carpentry. He and Hannah can read, write, and speak English. They rent the house and have a mortgage.

The 1900 census also states that Hannah is the mother of 12 children but the number of the living is 10. It also says that the four oldest children can read, write and speak English except Johnnie who can't read or write. Other townships, district 43, Blackwater Village.

On the 1910 Census, the family is still in the Blackwater township of Cooper County Missouri. Dick JOHNSON is head of the household but his race is Mulatto and he is 56 years old. It says he and his wife Hannah have been married for 30 years. He was born in Missouri but the census form says both his parents were born in the U. S. That sometimes means they were born in the United States but that one or both of their parents were immigrants.  Hannah is 49, black, born in Missouri with her father born in Virginia and her mother born in Kentucky.  Hannah shows 12 children with 12 living. Surprise! Dick's occupation is Farm Labor. He and Hannah can read, write, and speak English. They rent the house and have a mortgage.

On the 1920 Census, Robert H. JOHNSON appears with his family in the Blackwater Village of Cooper County Missouri.  He is 34 years old, listed as black, and owns his home free with no mortgage. His occupation shows as none. He is married to Florence, black and 29 years old. The children follow:

Odessa 8, Leslie C. 6, Mary 4, Robert H, Jr less than a year old.

I found Richard JOHNSON and his wife, Hannah on the 1930 census for Osawatomie, Kansas. Richard is head of the household, his race is Neg, and he is 74 years old.  Richard was born in Missouri but the census form says his father was born in Germany and his mother was born in Kentucky. His occupation is laborer and the industry is odd jobs. He is not a veteran. Hannah is 69, Neg, born in Missouri with her father born in Virginia and her mother born in Kentucky. She was 20 at her first marriage. Robert is living with them at age 44 and is a laborer and widowed.

I am seeking any information that would help research our JOHNSON family history.  That would include but not be limited to the slave owner's name, Dick Johnson's mother's name, name and ages of siblings, information about the family's life in Cooper County, Missouri (land transactions, church records, birth & death records), and etc.  I welcome any comments or suggestions.

Gerald D. Carson

gdcarson at pacbell.net