[Green] JAMES YORK GREEN -Craven County, NC -1800's -Helped Free Other Slaves

Deloris Williams deloris.williams2 at verizon.net
Tue Aug 12 01:04:18 EDT 2003

I posted this a couple of months ago on Afrigeneas, and am sending it to
this mailing list because it might be of interest to someone seeking their
GREEN ancestors in North Carolina.  He was freed in 1812, and later helped
in seeking to emancipate several others. The following are various records
of his petitions for emancipation.

Deloris Williams

  In my research of my GREEN ancestors, I have come across this record of
James York Green, who apparently was a slave until 1812, and who afterwards
went about helping to free several others. I thought the following
information might be useful to someone who is researching families in the
Craven County area.
  JAMES YORK GREEN

  To the Worshipfull the Justices of Craven County Court
  The Petition of Wm. B. Green respectfully sheweth That he is the owner of
a mulatto slave, called JAMES YORK GREEN, whose faithful & meritorious
services he is desirous to reward with the blessing of freedom. He prays the
license of your Worships to emancipate the said slave upon his entering into
the bonds required by law for the good conduct of the said James & to
indemnify the Parish as required by law.

  September 13, 1812
  WILLIAM B. GREEN
  THO A GREEN

  The Subscribers respectfully certify to the Worshipful County Court of
Craven that they are acquainted with the above named JAMES YORK GREEN he is
a tolerable workman at the Carpenters trade, a sober, honest and industrious
fellow and in their opinions would not disgrace the character of a free man.

  J. MASTIN Septr. 1812
  M. E. STEPHENS M. E. GREEN
  JOHN GREEN THO A GREEN

  WM. MITCHELL

  THOMAS WADSWORTH

  State of North Carolina, Craven County

  Know all men by these presents that We WILLIAM B. GREEN and JOHN FRANKLIN
are held and firmly bound unto his Excellency WILLIAM HAWKINS Esquire,
Captain General, Governor, and Commander in Chief of the State aforesaid, in
the full sum of two hundred pounds, to be paid to the said Governor or his
successors in office; to the which payment well and truly to be made, we
bind ourselves, our heirs, executors and administrators, jointly and
severally, firmly by these presents, sealed with our seals, and dated this
thirteenth day of September A.D. 1812.

  The Condition of the above obligation is such, that whereas at the Court
held for Craven County, at this day permission has been granted to WILLIAM
B. GREEN by the said Court, to emancipate and set free a certain Negro slave
named JAMES YORK GREEN. Now if the said Negro so permitted to be liberated,
shall during his residence in the State of North Carolina behave as an
honest and peaceable citizen, then the above obligation to be void.

  Sealed and delivered in presence of
  WILLIAM B. GREEN
  JOHN FRANKLIN

  State of North Carolina, Craven County

  Know all men by these presents that we WILLIAM B. GREEN & JOHN FRANKLIN
are held and firmly bound to JOHN F. SMITH, Esquire Chairman of Craven
County Court, in the sum of one hundred pounds, to be paid to the said JOHN
F SMITH or his successors in office, to which payment well and truly to be
made we bind ourselves, our heirs, executors and administrators, firmly by
these presents sealed with our seals and dated this 13th day of Septr. A.D.
1812.
  The Condition of the above obligation is such, whereas at the Court held
for Craven County, at this day permission has been granted to WILLIAM B.
GREEN by the said Court, to emancipate and set free a certain Negro slave
named JAMES YORK GREEN. Now if the said Negro so permitted to be liberated,
shall not become chargeable to the parish of Craven County, or of any other
County in this State, then the above obligation to be void.

  Sealed and delivered in presence of
  WILLIAM B. GREEN
  JOHN FRANKLIN

  State of North Carolina, Craven County

  Know all men by these presents that We BACCHUS SIMMONS & JAMES YORK GREEN,
are held and firmly bound unto his Excellency WILLIAM MILLER, Esquire,
Captain General, Governor, and Commander in Chief of the State aforesaid, in
the full sum of two hundred pounds, to be paid to the said Governor or his
successors in office; to the which payment well and truly to be made, we
bind ourselves, our heirs, executors and administrators, jointly and
severally, firmly by these presents, sealed with our seals, and dated this
seventeenth day of March A.D. 1815.
  The Condition of the above obligation is such, that whereas at the Court
held for Craven County, at this day permission has been granted to JOHN
C.STANLY by the said Court, to emancipate and set free certain Negro slaves
named LYDIA & her children- VIRCHEY- MARY- SUSAN-VIRGIL and FRED. Now if the
said Negroes so permitted to be liberated shall during their residence in
the state of North Carolina behave as honest and peaceable citizens then the
above obligation to be void.

  Sealed and delivered in presence of
  BACCHUS SIMMONS
  JAMES YORK GREEN

  State of North Carolina, Craven County

  Know all men by these presents that we BACCHUS SIMMONS & JAMES YORK GREEN,
are held and firmly bound to JOHN F. SMITH Esquire Chairman of Craven County
Court, in the sum of one hundred pounds, to be paid to the said JOHN F.
SMITH or his successors in office, to which payment well and truly to be
made we bind ourselves, our heirs, executors and administrators, firmly by
these presents sealed with our seals and dated this 17th day of March 1815.
  The Condition of the above obligation is such, whereas at the Court held
by Craven County, at this day permission has been granted to JOHN C. STANLY
by the Court, to emancipate and set free certain Negro slaves named LYDIA &
her children, VIRCHY, MARY, SUSAN, VIRGIL & FRED. Now if the said Negroes so
permitted to be liberated, shall not become chargeable to the parish of
Craven County, or of any other County in this State, then the above
obligation to be void.

  Sealed and delivered in presence of
  JOS. E. SHEFFIELD

  BACCHUS SIMMONS
  JAMES Y. GREEN

  State of North Carolina, Craven County

  Know all men by these presents that We DONUM MONTFORD and JAMES Y.GREEN
are held and firmly bound unto his Excellency WILLIAM MILLER Esquire,
Captain General, Governor, and Commander in Chief of the State of aforesaid,
in the full sum of two hundred pounds, to be paid to the said Governor or
his successors in office; to the which payment well and truly to be made, we
bind ourselves, our heirs, executors, and administrators, jointly and
severally, firmly by these presents, sealed with our seals, and dated this
twelfth day of September 1816.
  The Condition of the above obligation is such, that whereas at the Court
held for Craven County, at this day permission has been granted to DONUM
MONTFORD by the said Court, to emancipate and set free a certain Negro slave
named ABRAM M. R. ALLEN. Now if the said Negro so permitted to be liberated,
shall during his residence in the stat of North Carolina behave as an honest
and peaceable citizen, then the above obligation to be void.

  Sealed and delivered in presence of J.G. STANLY

  DONUM MONTFORD
  JAMES Y. GREEN

  State of North Carolina, Craven County

  Know all men by the presents that we DONUM MONTFORD and JAMES Y. GREEN are
held and firmly bound to JOHN F. SMITH Esquire Chairman of Craven County
Court, in the sum of one hundred pounds, to be paid to the said JOHN F.
SMITH or his successors in office, to which payment well and truly to be
made we bind ourselves, our heirs, executors an administrators, firmly by
these presents sealed with our seals and dated this 12th day of September
1816.
  The Condition of the above obligation is such, whereas at the Court held
for Craven County, at this day permission has been granted to DONUM MONTFORD
by the said Court, to emancipate and sete free a certain Negro slave named
ABRAM M. R. ALLEN. Now if the said Negro so permitted to be liberated, shall
not become charegeable to the parish of Craven County, or of any other
County in this State, then the above obligation to be void.

  Sealed and delivered in presence of J.G. STANLY

  DONUM MONTFORD
  JAMES Y. GREEN

  JAMES Y. GREEN
  Petition for Emancipation of VIOLET and RIGDON
  Septr. Term

  State of North Carolina
  To the Worshipfull the Justices of the Court of pleas and Quarter Sessions
for the County of Craven - Humbly petitioning sheweth unto your Worships
your petitioner, JAMES Y. GREEN, that your petitioner aforesaid is the
proprietor and owner by purchase of his the petitioners Mother named VIOLET,
and your petitioners brother named, RIGDON GREEN, both of whom are held in
slavery by your petitioner aforesaid, and your petitioner purchased the said
VIOLET and RIGDON under a deep conviction that it was an act of duty and
piety in your petitioner to make such purchase in order to redeem his Mother
and brother aforesaid from the state of Slavery, & Your petitioner further
sheweth that the slaves VIOLET & RIGDON aforesaid have always sustained and
still sustain, fair moral characters are industrious in their habits &
peaceable in their deportment & meritorious for their services to their
former owners. Your Petitioner is therefore desirous to set free the said
VIOLET & RIGDON and to this end prays license of this Worshipfull Court,
your petitioner first entering into bonds with security to be approved of by
your Worships for the indemnity of the public against the maintenance of the
slaves aforesaid and also for their good behaviour agreeably to the acts of
the General Assembly in such case provided And your Petitioner as in duty
bound shall ever pray & cc

  JAMES Y. GREEN , petitioner by
  EDWD. GRAHAM, Atty

  State of North Carolina, Craven County

  Know all men to these presents that We JAMES Y. GREEN and JARVIS B.
BRISTER [?] are held and firmly bound unto his Excellency JOHN BRANCH
Esquire, Captain General, Governor, and Commander in Chief of the State
aforesaid, in the full sum of two hundred pounds, to be paid to the said
Governor or his successors in office; to the which payment well and truly to
be made, we bind ourselves, our heirs, executors, and administrators,
jointly and severally, firmly by these presents, sealed with our seals, and
dated this 18th day of September A.D. 1818.
  The Condition of the above obligation is such, that whereas at the Court
held for Craven County, at this day permission has been granted to JAMES Y.
GREEN by the said Court, to emancipate and set free a certain Negro slave
named RIGDON. Now if the said Negro so permitted to be liberated shall
during his residence in the stat of North Carolina behave as an honest and
peaceable citizen, then the above obligation to be void.

  Sealed and delivered in presence of J.G. STANLY by JAS. Y. YORK, atty

  JAMES Y. GREEN
  JARVIS B. BRISTER

  State of North Carolina, Craven County

  Know all men by these presents that we JAMES Y. GREEN & JARVIS B.
BRISTER[?] are held and firmly bound to JOHN F. SMITH Esquire Chairman of
Craven County Court, in the sum of one hundred pounds, to be paid to the
said JOHN F. SMITH or his successors in office, to which payment well and
truly to be made we bind ourselves, our heirs, executors and administrators,
firmly by these presents sealed with our seals and dated this 18 day of
September 1818.
  The Condition of the above obligation is such, whereas at the Court held
for Craven County, at this day permission has been granted to JAMES Y. GREEN
by the said Court, to emancipate and set free a certain Negro slave named
RIGDON. Now if the said Negro so permitted to be liberated, shall not become
chargeable to the parish of Craven County, or of any other County in this
State, then the above obligation to be void.
  Sealed and delivered in presence of J. G. STANLY by JAS. Y. GREEN,atty

  JAMES Y. GREEN
  JARVIS B. BRISTER

  State of North Carolina, Craven County

  Know all men by these presents that We JAMES Y. GREEN and ALEXANDER
HENDERSON are held and firmly bound unto his Excellency JOHN BRANCH Esquire,
Captain General, Governor, and Commander in Chief of the State aforesaid, in
the full sum of two hundred pounds, to be paid to the said Governor or his
successors in office, to the which payment will and truly to be made, we
bind ourselves, our heirs, executors, and administrators, jointly and
severally, firmly by these presents, sealed with our seals, and dated this
eighteenth day of September A.D. 1818.
  The Condition of the above obligation is such, that whereas at the Court
held for Craven County, at this day permission has been granted to JAMES Y.
GREEN by the said Court, to emancipate and set free a certain Negro slave
named VIOLET. Now if the said Negro so permitted to be liberated, shall
during her residence in the state of North Carolina behave as an honest and
peaceable citizen, then the above obligatin to be void.

  Sealed and delivered in presence of FRAN. HAWKS

  JAMES Y. GREEN
  A. HENDERSON

  State of North Carolina, Craven County

  Know all men by these presents that we JAMES Y. GREEN and ALEXANDER
HENDERSON are held and firmly bound to JOHN F. SMITH Esquire Chairman of
Craven County Court, in the sum of one hundred pounds, to be paid to the
said JOHN F. SMITH or his successors in office, to which payment well and
truly to be made we bind ourselves, our heirs, executors and administrators,
firmly by these presents sealed with our seals and dated this 18th day of
September A.D. 1818.
  The Condition of the above obligation is such, whereas at the Court held
for Craven County, at this day permission has been granted to JAMES Y. GREEN
by the said Court, to emancipate and set free a certain Negro slave names
VIOLET. Now if the said Negro so permitted to be liberated, shall not become
chargeable to the parish of Craven County, or of any other County in this
State, then the above obligation to be void.

  Sealed and delivered in presence of FRANS. HAWKS

  JAMES Y. GREEN
  A. HENDERSON